Skip to main content

Rejoicing in Prayer

“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

There is really no way to rejoice always without knowing that God has everything under control. I think it is interesting that “rejoice always” comes before “pray continually.” It says to me that if my heart isn’t in the right place, my prayers probably won’t be coming from a good place either. Praying continually should be like breathing. I don’t need to stop and think about breathing, I just breathe. To hold my breath, I have to stop and make a choice to do that. Would I stop and make a choice to stay out of the presence of God? I hope not. My attitude to others or how I react to stressful situations will show me very quickly if I am in the presence of God.

My wife and I recently took a trip through Tennessee with my teenage granddaughter. It was 95 degrees and my air-conditioning decided to stop working. It was terrible, but because my granddaughter was in the car with us, we were on our best behavior.

We made jokes about it and talked about how much more we would enjoy the cool lake water. We stopped after a couple of hours to get something to eat. As we were walking into the restaurant, I told her I was sorry she had to go through the hot ride, but getting upset never helps anything, and giving things over to God is always the right choice. As we were leaving, we prayed a simple prayer, “God please fix the air-conditioning.” We never had another problem with the air.

Can I have a “rejoice always” heart when no one is watching?

Yes, with God.

Prayer Focus: Lord, help me to rejoice in all circumstances today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storyteller

“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.” Acts 1:8-9 These are the last words Jesus speaks to his Apostles just before ascending into heaven. Not what they were expecting. They were wondering when Jesus was going to set up His Kingdom on earth. As He was ascending into heaven He reveals we are the ones to accomplish the task. Jesus’ departure is not desertion; it is a commission to be the storytellers of truth to the rest of the world. Frequently, we look at this scripture in relationship to our life. We perceive Jerusalem as our own community, Judea as our city, Samaria as our country and the ends of the earth as the world. Christ informed the apostles they will have the power of the Holy Spirit to reach these people. Notice the word “and...” Jesus didn’t say...

Generosity Draws

“And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need. Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means “son of encouragement”), sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles’ feet.” Acts 4:33-37 I had the opportunity recently to offer something of value to some friends. It was passes to a golf tournament. I only had two, so I started checking with them one at a time. The first several were not able to take advantage of them, but something struck me. In declining, each of them expressed appreciation. Generosity had touched them. Joseph from Cyprus was a generous person. It was shown in two ways. He was generous with his possessions. He sold some property he owned to provide for needy people. And he was so gen...

The Way We Pray

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28 What brings answered prayer in a Christian’s life? Do you ever feel that you pray and God is silent or that you grow weary in your prayer life because it seems that God isn’t answering your heart’s desires? Could it be that many times it is because of the way we are praying? This passage of Scripture goes on to say, “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Taking God’s yoke on ourselves is a picture of an animal having a harness around its neck and can’t move to the right or left but only where the farmer is leading. It may seem restrictive to see God in that same way, but He wants us to follow Him looking straight ahead and keeping our eyes focused on Him and His purposes. It keeps us from getting sidetracked in our Christian walk. Then, our praying becomes asking Him for things He is desiring for us and those aro...