Skip to main content

Do You See What I See?

“You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than this.” Mark 12:31

3D glasses are amazing!! There is nothing like going to see a movie with these magical 3D glasses. I felt like I was right in the middle of the action, often causing me to kick my feet or raise my hands in a defensive posture (awkward).

Recently, I was listening to a couple that I knew fairly well talk of some troubles that they were experiencing in their lives. The more they talked the more I realized that I barely knew them at all. I had no idea what they had been going through and were experiencing. I immediately thought of the verse in Mark where Jesus said we were to “love your neighbor as yourself.” Ouch! I realized that I was not being a very good, loving neighbor to some good friends. I was watching the movie of their life unfold but I did not have on my 3D glasses that would allow me to notice details that would help me love them well. I felt Jesus ask me, “Mat, do you see what I see, or are you merely looking at the surface?”

If we are to truly love our neighbors, then we need to up our game asking God to give us 3D lenses allowing us to see what He wants us to see.

Prayer Focus: Lord, give me the courage and wisdom to love myself well so that I can love others well. Give me 3D lenses that help me see past what my human eyes notice and into Your supernatural gaze. And once I see what You see give me the courage to respond with grace, mercy, and love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Generosity Draws

“And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need. Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means “son of encouragement”), sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles’ feet.” Acts 4:33-37 I had the opportunity recently to offer something of value to some friends. It was passes to a golf tournament. I only had two, so I started checking with them one at a time. The first several were not able to take advantage of them, but something struck me. In declining, each of them expressed appreciation. Generosity had touched them. Joseph from Cyprus was a generous person. It was shown in two ways. He was generous with his possessions. He sold some property he owned to provide for needy people. And he was so gen...

Religious Adjustments

“So the word of God spread. The number of disciples in Jerusalem increased rapidly, and a large number of priests became obedient to the faith.” Acts 6:7 Immediately after Pentecost, the word of God spread. Part of the group of people who responded to the Gospel were Jewish priests. Not just a few, but “a large number” of them. Think about it. They were well versed in the Hebrew Bible (our Old Testament) and the traditions and teachings of the rabbis. But all of that was challenged by the Gospel, and they now became “obedient to the faith.” This was a massive change with great implications. I find that there are a lot of people around us who while not necessarily living a “practicing” faith, have a faith tradition background. And there are some like the priests of Jesus’ day who are regularly following their tradition. What will they do, what do we do, when the Gospel challenges or overrides our traditional beliefs? We can either reject the Gospel and hold tight to our tradition ...

Storyteller

“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.” Acts 1:8-9 These are the last words Jesus speaks to his Apostles just before ascending into heaven. Not what they were expecting. They were wondering when Jesus was going to set up His Kingdom on earth. As He was ascending into heaven He reveals we are the ones to accomplish the task. Jesus’ departure is not desertion; it is a commission to be the storytellers of truth to the rest of the world. Frequently, we look at this scripture in relationship to our life. We perceive Jerusalem as our own community, Judea as our city, Samaria as our country and the ends of the earth as the world. Christ informed the apostles they will have the power of the Holy Spirit to reach these people. Notice the word “and...” Jesus didn’t say...