Skip to main content

Be Joyful in a Negative World

“Let the word of Christ dwell in your richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms, and hymns, and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your
hearts to God.” Colossians 3:16

I don’t know about you, but for me it is easier to be negative then it is to be positive. The coach and critical thinker in me just seems to rise to the surface more often. We live in a negative world, a highly critical world where the demand for perfection and change is almost required. We, in the church, need to reflect early and often on the words that Paul gave to the church in Colossi. He reminded them to let the words of Christ richly impact them so that they could live a thankful lifestyle. It’s so much harder to be negative and critical when you’re singing praises to God with a thankful heart. When the Word is dwelling in us richly, then we can teach and admonish with wisdom … and not before. I should not be teaching or admonishing anyone with my own strength and wisdom, that helps no one. Many times, I have lashed out at my kids, or spoken to my wife in a tone that was not helpful for her or glorifying to God. It’s only when the Holy Spirit has His grip on me that I should open my mouth and speak words to others.

Let’s invite Christ to dwell in us richly today, let’s allow the Holy Spirit to speak through us profoundly today, let’s have our brain think thankful thoughts and our mouth sing praises to the One who ransomed and redeemed us.

Prayer Focus: Lord, search me and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Have Your way with me today and allow Your Holy Spirit to fill me to overflowing, affecting my thoughts and how I treat others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storyteller

“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.” Acts 1:8-9 These are the last words Jesus speaks to his Apostles just before ascending into heaven. Not what they were expecting. They were wondering when Jesus was going to set up His Kingdom on earth. As He was ascending into heaven He reveals we are the ones to accomplish the task. Jesus’ departure is not desertion; it is a commission to be the storytellers of truth to the rest of the world. Frequently, we look at this scripture in relationship to our life. We perceive Jerusalem as our own community, Judea as our city, Samaria as our country and the ends of the earth as the world. Christ informed the apostles they will have the power of the Holy Spirit to reach these people. Notice the word “and...” Jesus didn’t say

Baffled

“The Lord said, ‘If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.’” Genesis 11:6-7 I will confess I’ve been baffled by this passage. It appears that as men rejected God’s command to spread out and replenish the earth after the flood and began to build a tower for their own glory, that God gets scared of them. He seems to say that it will be impossible to stop what men want to do. As I’ve studied it more, I don’t believe God was scared at all. I believe He had loving concern that men would quickly return right back to the depth of sin that precipitated God’s judgement through the flood. When men and women work in a common cause, it is powerful. If that is true with human effort, how much more can we do if we seek and wait on the power that comes from God’s Spirit? We tend to rely so much on ourselves, and God gets

Finding God in Adversity

“After they had gone a long time without food, Paul stood up before them and said: “Men, you should have taken my advice not to sail from Crete; then you would have spared yourselves this damage and loss. But now I urge you to keep up your courage, because not one of you will be lost; only the ship will be destroyed. Last night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood beside me and said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul. You must stand trial before Caesar; and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you.’ So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me. Nevertheless, we must run aground on some island.” Acts 27:21-26 Our journey of faith does not happen without challenges. In fact, our greatest growth and greatest opportunities of giving a witness to the power of the Lord happen in the face of adversity. Paul had warned them not to sail, but the owners and captain of the ship craved their profits. And they w